Moving house can be a very stressful time but what makes it even more difficult for people is if they haven’t done the necessary preparation. Rushing to do things at the last minute can really make moving house a challenge. That’s why it’s good to be organised and prepare for your moving day well in advance. I will help by sharing these five top tips for a stress-free house move.
- Keep focused. It is easy when moving house to feel overwhelmed by the amount of preparation you have to do, so it can be useful to take one small thing at a time rather than focusing on everything at once. Write a To-Do list, and organise everything into priority order.
- Declutter. This is something you’ll want to do well in advance and before packing. There may be a number of items you don’t actually use or haven’t seen in the last few years because they’ve been at the back of the wardrobe. Take them to the charity or sell them if you think you can. Be ruthless. You will thank yourself later.
- Get all of the materials you need for packing. This will most likely include packing boxes, bubble wrap and cello tape. Pack all of the items you don’t use, such as decorations, weeks before the moving date so you have less to do later. You could even hire a self-storage unit to put these items so they are not in the way at your home whilst you continue to live there. For Self Storage Chorley, visit https://www.andrewporterltd.co.uk/removals/storage-lancashire/chorley-storage-and-self-storage/.
- Contact all the relevant companies at least a month before your move-in date. This will probably be your Wi-Fi provider, and your energy suppliers, as well as the removal company if you’re using one.
- Lastly, label all of your boxes clearly and not simply with the word ‘miscellaneous’! Keep important items at the top of boxes, and make sure you leave lots of time to pack, not on the day of the move.